Monday, May 12, 2014

Magical Realism or Gothic?

It always comes down to this. I know that my stories have to have some type of fantasy in it. Something that 
makes it extraordinary and not like the world I live in. The idea that I have is so small and isn't really much of anything so it can honestly go either way. 

I've always wanted to try my shot at writing magical realism. I just discovered this genre about a year ago if that and feel absolutely in love with it. Some of my favorite stories are magical realism. Though I always shy away form it because I feel as if my ideas wouldn't really work with it. Maybe magical realism isn't something that I should do a the moment? It's really just a thought.

Then I'm in love with Gothic stories. The dark themes and setting? It's what I've been in love with since I was a kid. I grew up being afraid and in love with monsters. I've always thought about doing something set during the Victorian times (lets face it, the time period is the perfect setting. Everyone knows this) but I'm never been able to write anything that isn't in the 21st century. Maybe now is the perfect time to try?

I just have to think more about it and see how it goes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment